Queen Victoria market in Melbourne is my regular market. I bought chicken carcass for the first time. It was $2 dollars for 2 chickens carcass. I was so surprised by how cheap it is. I wanted to try to make my own chicken stock from scratch. I wouldn’t think about what should I do with chicken stocks but I wanted to make very simple and healthy chicken soup.
I was inspired by Vietnamese rice noodle soup ' Pho'. Fresh bean sprout and fragrant coriander would lift up the chicken soup. And rather than having noodles, add heaps of my favourite seasonal vegetable. I think it is much healthier and interesting texture.
So here it goes. Surprisingly there were a lot of chicken meat came out from the chicken carcass. It became a quite sustainable dinner after a long day.
Ingredients (2 Serves)
1 Chicken carcass
A hand full of Bean spout
1 small Zucchini
2 star anises
4 shitake Mushroom ( any seasonal mushroom )
2~3 Spring Onions
1 Fresh Red chilli
A small much of fresh Coriander
Salt and cracked Black pepper
2 tsp of Fish sauce (option)
2 clove of garlic
1 brown onion
2 sticks of celery
1. Clean chicken carcass in cold water and place it in a large stock pot. Pour 8 cups (2L) of water and add roughly chopped brown onion, garlic and celery.
2. bring it up to boil and cook for about 1 hours in medium heat.
3. Cool it down and put them in fridge for a couple of hours. When it become cold enough, fat become white solid. Remove the fat from the pot using a spoon and then collect chicken meat from out of the bone using a fork and fingers. Remove all bone and vegetable except meat and stock.
4. Slice zucchini and mushroom to 4~5cm length & 0.5cm thick. Slice spring onion to similar 5cm length. Slice fresh red chilli to thin.
5. Heat up chicken stock in a pot. when it is boiled, add sliced vegetable, chilli and star anise and cook for 15 minutes.
6. Season with salt and black pepper. If you want, add fish sauce.
7. Add fresh bean spout and fresh coriander in the pot and leave them for about 2~3 minutes.
8. Serve in bowls.