Spring is one of my favorite seasons. I smell the spring flowers along the street and I can see blossom and baby leaves everywhere. It reminds me of my happy childhood. I feel so happy like a little girl.
One beautiful spring Saturday morning, I was walking down to a farmer's market in Collingwood Melbourne. I was hunting for fresh ingredients and inspiration. Spring brought soft and tender salad and bit of last winter vegetable. I found young green silver beet. I am getting interesting in what I can do with this. With silverbeet, I have tried Korean Style chilli beef soup ( 'Yuck-Gae-Jang' my mother's recipe), silver beet onion pizza and silver beet dumplings. But with Silverbeet, you know what would be perfect is Korean style pancake.
This korean style pancake is savory. Actually it is close to fritter. Nigel slater cooks quick garden veggie flitter from whatever he can find in veggie gardens. It is great way all vegetable become together, because flour & eggs batter will help all ingredients combined together, no matter what shape of vegetable is
This is how I cook silverbeet fritter for my breakfast. It can be so simple and enjoyable light meal or snack too.
Ingredients ( Serve 4 )2 leaves silverbeet, finely chopped
3 spring onion, roughly chopped
1/2 brown onion, finely chopped
1 handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tin or cooked lentils, drained
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
baby fresh coriander for garnish
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup organic plain flour
1/4 tsp sugar
1 teaspoon salt
For sauce, (optional)
Grilled tomato or tomato sauce
1. Slice silverbeet, spring onion, brown onion, parsley finely and take them into a large mixing bowel.
2. Mix flour, eggs, salt, sugar and cumin in a small bowl. Add cold water and whisk until runny.
3. Add the mixture of batter to all prepared fresh veggies, lentils, cheddar cheese in the large bowl. Mix them with a spoon.
4. Spread 2~3 tablespoon of oil on medium frying pan and heat up to hot.
5. Take a small ladle or a large spoon of mixture into the hot pan. Flying one side until the batter cooked and golden ( about 3 minutes ) and Flip over to the other side. Cook another 2~3 minutes to golden.
6. Serve with your salad or fresh baby coriander and grilled tomato or tomato sauce. Cream fraiche / sour cream would go well as well.